Star Wars: Predators
Prison Break on Junka-7
3 months after the Yavin 4 intelligence raid in which Mike Sykes, Gand and H3-4VY were captured….
- After returning from a mission relocating civilians to New Alderaan, Dex and Tobin Stryder were informed by Lieutenant Klevic that they finally had intelligence on where their squad mates were being held. A planet called Junka-7 on the edge of the Chargoal Sector.
- In a major briefing for the entire task force, Commander Salm briefed them on the plan:
- The moon of a gas giant, Junka-7 held a large Imperial POW facility. It was an arid, airless world. It was not expected that the defences would repel a concentrated assault.
- Predator Squadron was to infiltrate the prison facility in an effort to scout their defences and begin tracking down prisoners before a small sub-division of the task force arrived for extraction.
- Predator Squadron were to be teamed up with the Dantooine Rangers, one of the Rebellion’s most experienced special ops teams, for this assignment.
- Their objective was to get in, locate and liberate their people before destroying the facility’s main reactor.
- Arriving in-system, Predator Squadron and the Dantooine Rangers picked up several Star Destroyers on sensors. One of these would turn out to be the Death’s Head, the flagship of General Kevlan.
- Comming the facility under the guise of a prisoner transport, they learned that General Kevlan himself was inspecting the facility, hence the increased security.
- Docking with the facility, the two commando teams talked their way inside. As the clock ticked down for their space reinforcements arrival, they waited for the opportune moment before dropping the charade and assaulting the facility directly. It was awful nice of those Imperial folk to open the door for them, although there was a concern as to whether their reinforcements could contend with the stronger-than-anticipated Imperial defences – time was therefore of the essence.
- Getting inside the facility they had to fight their way through general population, rescuing Alliance prisoners as they went.
- They fought their way past turrets to get into the command centre.
- In the command centre, one of the techs surrendered, he was the source of the Alliance intelligence on the facility. He informed them that General Kevlan had shown up suddenly, inspecting the facility for an unknown reason. When the fighting started in the main facility Warden Drax had gone to the High Security Wing with the intention of killing the prisoners there before the Alliance could get their hands on them.
- The group split up, prioritising the High Security Wing and securing the Main Reactor in order to destroy the facility.
- In the High Security Wing they found many prisoners being executed by laser-guillotine. Killing Warden Drax, they rescued Mike Sykes (who was severely injured, having lost an eye during his incarceration).
- Entering the Main Reactor Chamber, they encountered the Inquisitor from Yavin 4. Also present in the room was a man they immediately recognised from their intelligence briefings – General Kevlan. The Inquisitor duelled Stryder, whilst a member from the Dantooine Rangers covered Kevlan. The Inquisitor lost to a blaster bolt to the face, his body falling into the depths of the chamber. Kevlan casually destroyed the datacards in his possession, offering his surrender to them. Before leaving this area they rigged the main reactor to overload, which would theoretically destroy the facility.
- They evacuated the Alliance personnel and captured Imperials, on their way they found H3-4VY (who had been dismantled) in a storage bin. The battle outside seemed to have escalated, Alliance reinforcements including the Mon Remonda had been called in to engage the Star Destroyers. They then proceeded to the final area they hat yet to search – Research.
- Research was guarded by a Super Stormtrooper. Inside they found many species in containment cells, each one having been killed by poison gas. They found Gand locked in an experimental chamber that was simulating the effects of extreme pressure. Through great skill they rescued him before the effects of the chamber were too severe. Gand had clearly been experimented on, being missing his left arm and his left eye. They also recovered some data on brain scans that the Empire had been performing in this laboratory.
- They proceeded to climb up the shaft and out to their ship, but a member of the Dantooine Rangers prematurely detonated the main reactor. This caused the underground laboratory access to collapse trapping Tobin Stryder and Gand down there.
- The fleet retreated, fearing them lost. Although thankful for the rescue of so many prisoners, this was a black mark on the record of the Dantooine Rangers.
*The increased defences here along with the botched intelligence at Yavin led Mike Sykes to begin suspecting that there was a spy in their midst.
- Beneath the facility Gand and Tobin survived, finding a secret accessory to an underground mag-rail that the scientists used to escape. Fighting their way into the underground hanger, they captured a HWK-290, IPB-Jun7-HWK-3 and fled the facility pursued by TIE Fighters.