AKA: To Starfighter Coolant: The Cause Of, & Solution To, All of Life’s Problems
Arrival at Hoth
- Predator Squadron arrived at Hoth after 6 days of hyperspace travel, entering the atmosphere of the frozen wasteland they were hailed aggressively. After identifying themselves the line cleared up and they were greeted by Echo Base. A pair of X-Wings escorted them in for landing.
- Setenna Hase greeted the Squadron as they arrived. She directed them to the Command Centre to meet General Rieekan,but split off Sandy, Jacen and Tobin to the Medical Centre to get checked out. Hoth was absolutely freezing, the deepest cold any of the squad had ever felt. Kaine was not happy with this arrangement as he had been expecting somewhere warmer than the winter of Yavin 4.
- Ghost removed the flight stick circuit board from her captured TIE Advanced Prototype to prevent someone flying off with it.
- The General was discussing a problem with a protocol droid and asked him to “get Solo to look into it”. He greeted Predator Squadron, congratulated them on the successful rescue mission and reminded them of the grave risk they undertook to rescue Tobin – what if they’d all been captured?
- Rieekan also raised the thorny issue of how much Tobin could be trusted – he had been absent for months, only to get captured by the Empire and show up with a kid they’ve never met. The squad broadly vouched for Tobin’s trustworthiness, citing the intelligence he had sent the squadron and their own sporadic absences. This was good enough for Rieekan.
- Rieekan decided to speak to the former Governor, Ardus Kaine, himself to judge his offer of intelligence.
- Rieekan mentioned that one of their supply ships that was due had been intercepted by pirates. They suspected a group called The Syndicate to be responsible as they had been responsible for several previous raids on Alliance shipping.
- In the Med Centre Tobin and Jacen caught up and introduced themselves to Sandy. Kaine was also there, they probed his intentions with the Force and found him to be relatively calm. After some time they were judged medically fit, free of contaminants and able to go about their business.
- Jacen sought out Lieutenant Wes Janson, one of the pilots who escorted them in. Janson didn’t meet with Jacen’s expectations of the Alliance at all – Janson was loud, welcoming and excitable. He took Jacen to the maintanence level beneath Hanger Bay 7 and demonstrated how to operate a makeshift still in a tool shed – it produced alcohol by refining starfighter coolant. It was a noxious smelling light blue liquid, after one sip Jacen realised its potency. Janson drank 4 jars before heading out on patrol (when Jacen questioned this he said “I’d be crazy to fly sober”). Jacen grabbed several jars to save for later.
- Kaine presented his case to Alliance High Command via hologram. Predator Squadron waited in a nearby mess hall. Jacen arrived and handed out the coolant/drink. All bar Galish refused to drink, Galish was fine with those arrangement as it meant more for her. Galish drank 7 jars of refined coolant, rolling so well on consecutive Resiliance checks that she was able to defer the effects of the hangover for several days (unfortunately it was due to be a killer one). To top this off Tobin offered her some Booster Blue spice. Unfortunately so wired was Galish from this that she would not be able to fully recover for several days.
- The door to the briefing room opened and the Squadron spotted a figure they all recognised from holograms – Princess Leia Organa, formerly of Alderaan. She did not look happy, she looked as if she had just lost an argument. Kaine followed her out of the door, escorted by Rieekan. Kaine looked as though he had just won the galactic lottery.
- Rieekan explained that in return for providing intelligence to Predator Squadron on Grand Moff Kevlan, the former governor would be granted immunity from prosecution for any crimes he may or may not have been party to whilst working for the Empire.
- Kaine proposed a radical solution for dealing with Kevlan: rather than striking at the General by dismantling his military operations, Kaine suggested they target the man.
There is one thing that Kevlan prides above all else (save maybe his belief in the Empire itself. His family. Target his family and you target the man, enrage the man and the General will start making mistakes.
- For various reasons Predator Squadron were against striking at Kevlan’s family directly. It simply didn’t sit well with the majority of them for either moral, logistical or military reasons.
- Kaine instead outlined what he knew of Kevlan’s various projects, the bulk of this information is located here.
Predator Squadron chose to address Project Raptor, and planned to attack the TIE Raptor facility in the Horus System because of it’s Hutt connection. Before they left General Rieekan requested they attempt to bring back a TIE Raptor intact for study.
Nar Shaddaa Haze
After explaining the situation regarding the Horus System and its connection a clan allied with her, Dei agreed to help them acquire navigational data in return for a stolen TIE Raptor. This would take some time though, they’d have to wait for at least a day.
Tobin also sought a personal favour – replacing his arm that he lost to the Inquisitors recently. Dei agreed – a favour for a favour she would call in one day. She would even have her personal medical droid perform the procedure.
Given how well Galish held her liquor earlier, Tobin and Ghost decided to put her to a proper test by taking her to a seedy pub (ran by a Kubaz bartender) and plying her with Membroisia (a highly addictive nectary drink). Things went well until a male Aqualish approached Galish, complimenting her on her hair. Galish and the Aqualish got into a brawl, things escalated when Galish drew her sidearm and opened fire on the Aqualish. The Aqualish drew his own weapon and fired back. Tobin attempted to calm the situation, but Galish shrugged off Tobin’s Force assisted influence. Galish killed the Aqualish. Upon searching the Aqualish, Galish found an Ardus Disk bearing the symbol of the Veradi Clan.
Ghost and Tobin realised the seriousness of the situation immediately – Kaltho the Hutt is the leader of the Veradi Clan, and to kill someone bearing an Ardus Disk was as if you killed a Hutt. Even Hutts tried to avoid killing bearers of Ardus Disks; for a non-Hutt to do so at the best of times was considered suicidal. For a non-Hutt to do so in the middle of territory belonging to a rival of the bearer’s clan, it could start a war.
Galish headed back to Dei’s palace where she was denied entry by the guards (who commed the Honey Badger only to be told by Sandy that Galish wasn’t with them). Galish successfully climbed the security fence, surrounding Dei’s compound, but got hit by the stun field. Imprisoned by Dei’s guards, Tobin, Ghost and Gand had to talk the guards into releasing her. Ghost took Galish for a ride on Gand’s speeder bike in order to hide her within the Industrial District of the city.
After completing the procedure to replace Tobin’s arm, Tobin and Gand were called into an audience with Dei. She asked them if they knew anything about the murder of an Aqualish bearing an Ardos disk at a nearby bar. They admitted that they knew of the incident and that Galish was responsible. Dei revealed that she already knew, the Kubaz bartender was a local informant of hers. Because of their honesty and their previous assistance and loyalty to her, Dei would stall the Veradi clan for as long as she could, but she could only guaruntee them 24 hours. She suggested they leave Nar Shaddaa as soon as possible and confirmed that she would still honour their original agreement and get the Horus System hyperspace routes for them soon.
The squad scrambled to leave before a Veradi Coan net enclosed around them. They set course rimward and headed for the Horus System.
Assaulting the Horus System Facility
- Tobin scouts the Horus system and finds an access hatch near the underside of the spherical base that they could use to access the facility. He also identifies a ring of hanged bays around the midsection of the sphere.
- Gets spotted on the way out but bluff their way out of trouble with the patrolling Gozanti cruiser.
- Galish, Gand, Sandy and Tobin infiltrate the facility using the stealth functionality of the Dusk Mynock. Ghost stays aboard the Honey Badger at the edge of the system, ready to provide a distraction for the other’s exit.
- Entering the facility, Gand begins planting charges around the cooling towers for the base’s repulsorlift generators. They get attacked by what appear to be a pair of some variant of the Tempest Stormtroopers – sporting black armour rather than white, with a slightly different shaped helmet that accommodates some sort of tube to the chin, but still bearing the signature cannon of a Tempest Stormtrooper.
- After defeating the Stormtroopers, the squad decides to split up to search for hanger facilities:
- Tobin and Gand head to the mid-levels and encounter stiff resistance from some Imperial officers. They overcome the officers and access a flight control room overlooking a hanger with 6 TIE Raptors docked. They even manage to coerce a pair of the officers into surrendering and handing over a set of Raptor schematics.
- Galish and Sandy (who disabled 2 out of the 4 turbolifts into the cooling room) head to the top floor, thinking to start a top-down search of the facility. The turbolift opened onto a control room – in the centre of the circular room was an Imperial officer giving orders to technicians in 4 crew pits. Also present was the red-haired Inquisitor that Tobin encountered on Yavin 4. At this sight Sandy rapidly hit the elevator button whilst Galish fired upon the transparisteel windows of the control room, succeeding in cracking them.
- As they descended, they heard a thump atop their turbolift. Sandy thrust his lightsaber through the roof, only to receive a magenta blade stabbing down in return. For a few seconds this proceeded until Galish upended fire upon the inquisitor. Although she succeeded in reducing some of the inquisitor’s cover, the magenta blade prevented any bolts from hitting home. The inquisitor leaned around and tried stabbing through the side of the elevator. Galish continued shooting whilst Sandy cut a hole in the floor and then one in the ceiling. The inquisitor succeeded in her balancing, managing to backflip off the car and to a support beam, throwing her lightsaber as she flipped through the air. The blade struck the repulsorlift generator of the turbolift, sending Galish and Sandy plummeting without a brake. Sandy attempted to slow the turbolift by plunging his lightsaber into the wall – this was of limited effect, threatening to wrench the blade out of his hands. Cutting open the door they were forced to jump, the pair of them barely making it through the breach without serious injury – Sandy now on floor 36 and Galish on floor 37.
- Apparently within spitting distance of their objectives, Tobin handed the trigger to Gand who gleefully pulled it detonating the charges on the cooling towers. It now won’t take long for the repulsorlift generators of the facility to overheat and fail, but quite how long is impossible to determine.
- Ghost gained 5 Loan Obligation to Lando as she took out a loan to acquire some items.
- Tobin gained 5 Favour Obligation to Dei as he requested her assistance in acquiring a replacement arm.
- Galish gained 5 Bounty Obligation as she killed someone bearing the Ardus Disk of the Veradi Clan, the clan that Kaltho the Hutt leads.
- 5 XP for using your existing contacts and successfully seeking Dei’s aid in gathering intelligence to plan your attack.
- 5 XP for instigating your assault on the TIE Raptor facility.
- We’ll pick up next week, since we ended with a cliffhanger the same gained conflict from this session will apply.